06 January 2014

Reading List 2014

Yes, just as I've put some writing goals out there, so must I list what I intend to read this year. You may follow me on Goodreads to see some of what I have read and what I am currently reading. Here are the thirty books I want to read this year, not necessarily in this order:
  1. Aeschylus, The Oresteia
  2. Aristotle, The Basic Works of Aristotle (Ethics, Politics, Poetics)
  3. Cervantes, Don Quixote
  4. Charles Darwin, The Origin of Species
  5. Colette, Break of Day
  6. Dante,, The Divine Comedy
  7. Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights
  8. Franz Kafka, The Complete Stories
  9. Gustave Flaubert, Bouvard and Pecuchet
  10. Henry James, Notebooks
  11. Henry James, Roderick Hudson
  12. Immanuel Kant, Critique of Pure Reason
  13. James Joyce, Ulysses
  14. John Hawkes, The Lime Twig
  15. Jorge Luis Borges, Labyrinths
  16. Laurence Sterne, Tristram Shandy
  17. Ludwig Wittgenstein, Tractatus Logico Philosophicus
  18. Lydia Davis, The Collected Stories of Lydia Davis
  19. Plato, The Collected Dialogues (Timaeus, Symposium, Republic)
  20. Rainer Maria Rilke, The Notebooks of Malte Laurids Brigge
  21. Samuel Taylor Coleridge, Biographia Literaria
  22. Sir Thomas Browne, Urne Burial
  23. Stendhal, The Red and the Black
  24. Steven L. Peck, The Scholar of Moab
  25. Therese Doucet, A Lost Argument: A Latter-day Novel
  26. Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
  27. Thomas Mann, The Magic Mountain
  28. Thucydides, The History of the Peloponnesian War
  29. Virgil, The Aeneid
  30. William H. McNeill, The Rise of the West
Certainly, this represents more pages than I can flip through in a year, but even if I succeed in reading only half of it, I'll be that much farther toward my ultimate goal of reading William H. Gass's 50 Literary Pillars.

Read, write, execute!

No comments:

Post a Comment